With our signature dough recipe in hand we tossed together some of our favorite ingredients and created a shaved brussels sprout white pizza tasty enough to be takeout without having to social distance. Creamy white sauce topped with salty prosciutto, sweet caramelized onions, and Brussels sprouts shaved thin so while the pizza is in the oven they get perfectly cooked while staying crisp.
With National Pizza Day being Tuesday, February 9th this year I asked my husband Colby also known as my favorite pizza know it all, for some tips and tricks on how to make the best pizzas at home. He has been obsessed with perfecting his pizza-making since he was a kid, and if he’s not making pizza he’s eating pizza from everywhere that serves pizza, so there is no one else I would ask about pizza. With his signature dough recipe in hand together we tossed together some of our favorite ingredients and created a pizza tasty enough to be takeout without having to social distance. Creamy white sauce topped with salty prosciutto, sweet caramelized onions, and Brussels sprouts shaved thin so while the pizza is in the oven they get perfectly cooked while staying crisp. I would also suggest making extra dough, it keeps well in the freezer so homemade pizza night can be any night, even a Tuesday.
Colby’s Tips and Tricks for making the best Pizza at home.
Make sure you’re using fresh high quality 00 flour. This will make the best pizza dough you’ve ever had!
If you don’t have a pizza oven, (like most of us) you should invest in a pizza stone to use in your oven. Preheat your stone in the oven for at least 45 minutes at the max temp, and convection if you have.
Whole milk, low moisture mozzarella works best. If you want to use fresh mozzarella, I prefer to slice it thin and dry it out as much as I can on sheets of paper towels. This helps to not create pools of moisture on your beautiful pizza.
Find this Shaved Brussels Sprout White Pizza Recipe in February 2021 issue of Spokane CDA Living.
- 1 Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup Alfredo Sauce
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 5 Brussles Sprouts, thinly sliced
- 3 slices Prosciutto
- 1/4 cup Caramelized Onions
- A drizzle of Balsamic Reduction
- Roll out prepared pizza dough into a 12-inch circle, lay the dough either on a pizza peel with a sprinkle of cornmeal, to ensure it doesn't stick, and slides easily into the oven. Or onto a parchment-lined sheet tray.
- Starting in the center spread the alfredo sauce evenly covering the dough to almost the edge.
- Sprinkle 3/4 of the cheese over the pizza, then the onions, prosciutto, brussels sprouts, then finally the remaining cheese.
- Place in a 550˚ oven either on a preheated pizza stone or on a sheet tray and cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove, allow to cool then drizzle balsamic reduction, slice and serve.