With Valentine’s Day around the corner, why not surprise your sweetheart with a fancy dinner at home that will not only empress but also is quick and easy to make. It’s chock-full of ingredients that are well-known aphrodisiacs like a duck, red wine, and cherries guaranteed to have your night start right. The resveratrol in red wine is also a powerful antioxidant, which, helps decrease inflammation and helps quite literally get your blood pumping. Not to mention if you have a glass or two can help get everyone a little more relaxed. Cherries not only just a sexy fruit but they contain potassium and vitamin C, they also contain anthocyanins a powerful antioxidant that again reduces inflammation and helps maintain a healthy sex drive.
Dark meat like steak and duck are good sources of protein, good for your stamina but it also has zinc which is good for men but for women it’s packed full of dopamine and norepinephrine which is important for female arousal. The best secret to cooking the perfect duck breast is to make sure the skin and fat are scored to the meat to allow the fat to render properly then start the duck skin side down in a cold pan so the fat is rendered and the skin is crispy. Pairs perfectly with a classic risotto, pasta or roast some potatoes in the leftover duck fat, just make sure to watch the garlic. Other things to stay away from to not damper the mood is a lot of dairies, and oddly popcorn.
- 2 Duck Breast
- 1/2 Shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1/2 cup Dark Cherries, pitted (I use frozen)
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Score the duck skin and fat to the flesh, season with salt and pepper then place skin side down in a fry pan then turn the burner on medium-low heat and do not touch it. The duck will release from the pan when it's perfectly brown, don't force it.
- Once the skin is crisp and releases from the pan flip and continue cooking all sides until the center of the breast is 130˚ allow to rest for about 5 minutes or as long as it takes to put together the sauce. During it's resting time it will continue to cook to the perfect medium-rare at 135˚.
- Remove all but about a tablespoon of the rendered duck fat from the fry pan and add the shallots and cook until translucent.
- Add the cherries and cook down until jammy, then deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping all the fond (brown bits) off the bottom of the pan and reduce the wine down by about 1/2. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Blend the sauce in a blender or emersion blender until smooth and return to the pan, then mount with butter to make the sauce velvety smooth. Serve imminently I recommend with risotto (as pictured) or roast potatoes with the rendered duck fat and garnish with microgreens.
If you’re needing the perfect dessert my friend over at Motivate Educate Repeat has the perfect ending for your romantic meal. Make the time between dinner and after dinner quicker and make these in advance. The great thing about cookies are they very portable and can go to any room in your house.