Somedays I feel like winter will never end, and I just feel a chill down to the bones that there is no amount of sitting in front of the fireplace will help. It was NEGATIVE 2 degrees last week, which for someone from Hawaii is too cold to function, but I digress. This not only will warm you to the core but it’ll help you feel not like a garbage human if you have a cold especially a sore throat, or maybe you had just a bit too much fun the night before, it cures all that ails you. Nothing makes me feel better than a big bowl of warm red curry, coconut milk soup, with mung bean noodles, and rare steak it’s like Tom gai soup and pho had a baby, a delicious baby!
- 2 tablespoons Red Curry Paste
- 3 tablespoons Coconut oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 in piece Ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 medium Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 qt Asian chicken stock (or normal chicken stock)
- 1 cup full fat Coconut Milk
- 2-4 Kaffir Lime Leaves, 2 big or 4 smalls
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 4 Green Onions, thinly slice and separated
- 2 bundles of Mung Bean Noodles
- Cilantro for garnish
- 8oz New York Steak, or similar cut
To Start: Season the steak with salt and pepper sear in a tablespoon of coconut oil and cook until the steak is rare (or a notch under what you where you like your steak. The meat will finish cooking in the broth once the soup is brought all together), let the steak rest while you put the broth together.
Cook noodles as stated on the package, place in your serving bowls and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat up 1teaspoon coconut oil add onion cook until tender and translucent, and remove from pan, add remainder of coconut oil, ginger and curry paste, toast until the paste had gone from red to dark cherry. Then add garlic and lime leaves then cook until fragrant. If you don't have or can't find kefir lime leaves you can substitute 1teaspoon of Lime zest and juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Add chicken stock, coconut milk, cooked onions, the whites of the green onions, and sugar bring broth to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Taste the broth at this point, if it’s to spicy add more sugar if it needs salt, add salt if you didn't use lime leaves but it needs acid add another squeeze of lime.
To Finish: Pull out the lime leaves out and divide the broth into your bowls over the noodles, thinly slice your steak place over the noodles and garnish with cilantro and the greens of the green onions.